Here’s a list of novels I’ve enjoyed over the years. Not all of them are new, but they’re all compelling reads. This list is in random order.
The titles in bold are the ones I love the most.
The ones with an asterisk (*) are not particularly relaxing.
The ones that say YA are written for teens (but loved by me).
- House Rules by Jodi Piccoult
- Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta (YA)
- Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (YA)
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- The Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
- Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
- The Dry by Jane Harper
- Force of Nature by Jane Harper
- We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver *
- The Dutch House by Ann Patchett
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Dehlia Owens
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (YA)
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Jayne Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
- The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
- Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
- Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
- Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards
- What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
- Looking For Alibrandi by Melina Marcetta (YA)
- The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne
- The Bronze Horseman Trilogy by Paullina Simons
- Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton*
- The Light Between Oceans by M.L Stedman
- The Dressmaker by Rosalie Ham
- The Lost Man by Jane Harper
- Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult*
- A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult*
- Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak
- The Rip by Mark Brandi
- I Do Not Come To You By Chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
- Wimmera by Mark Brandi*
- The Lake House by Kate Morton
How many of these great reads have you ticked off?
Article supplied with thanks to Yvette Cherry. Yvette is a wife, mum to four little girls, worship ministry coordinator, and former English teacher.
Feature image: Getty