These tasty meatballs are a crowd-pleaser but best of all they are loved by my family.
The meatballs have a lovely light texture and swim in a rich flavour-packed sauce. You won’t taste the mushrooms I’ve blended into the mixture but you will get lots of protein, a boost of nutritious vitamins and minerals, plus lots of fibre and a less dense meatball (I’ve kept the mushrooms a secret from my family though). Serve with your favourite spiralized vegetable noodles, cauliflower mash (my recipe HERE) or organic 100% buckwheat pasta. Optional, finish off the dish with a sprinkling of my Nut & Seed Parmesan Sprinkle.
- 1 Large onion(s), quartered
- 200g white cup mushrooms, halved
- 3 cloves garlic, or 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup firmly packed Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1/2 cup almond meal/flour, or ground sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp golden flaxseed meal (fine ground)
- 1/3 cup almond milk, or coconut milk from a carton
- 2 Tbsp organic Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp fine sea salt, & 1/3 tsp ground black pepper
- 800g grass-fed beef mince
- 1 Tbsp ghee, or coconut oil for cooking
- 1 medium onion(s), finely diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup organic tomato paste
- 500ml (2 cups) organic passata/tomato puree
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) beef broth/stock
- 3 Tbsp organic Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey (unprocessed)
- 3 tsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt, & 1/3 tsp ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 180c (fan-forced). Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic and parsley to the large bowl of a food processor and process for approximately 6 – 8 seconds to chop finely.
Add the remaining meatball ingredients in order. Process to reach a smooth well-combined mixture.
Scoop out heaped tablespoons of the mixture or use a mini-ice cream scoop and roll in your hands to create the meatballs. Place on the prepared trays and cook for approximately 25 – 30 minutes or until lightly browning on the edges, don’t overcook – they are best when a bit juicy.
Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the ghee and onion and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for 40 – 50 seconds. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
Transfer the cooked meatballs into the sauce and keep warm while you prepare the vegetable noodles, mash or pasta.
Serve the meatballs and sauce over your choice of noodles or mash and sprinkle with chopped parsley and my Nut & Seed Parmesan Sprinkle recipe HERE (optional).
Suitable to freeze.
Article supplied with thanks to The JOYful Table.
About the Author: Susan Joy is an author of The JOYful Table cookbook containing gluten & grain free, and Paleo inspired recipes for good health and wellbeing.
Feature image: Supplied