By: Clare Bruce
This article provides you with information released on Wednesday 18th March in regards to COVID-19
Coronavirus Wednesday 18 March Headlines
The Federal Government has increased restrictions on indoor non-essential gatherings to no more than 100 people as part of efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19
- All Australian-led ANZAC Day gatherings including at Gallipoli have been cancelled
- All Australians who are overseas have been urged to return home — Foreign Affairs has issued an advice warning that travellers might not be able to return as more countries close their borders
- Europe Union will ban travellers from outside of the EU for 30 days in an unprecedented move to seal its borders
- Virgin Australia will suspend all international flights from March 30, read the full report
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the travel ban on Australians to level 4 for the entire world – the first time it has ever happened in Australia’s history. “Do not go overseas, that is a very clear instruction”. This is an indefinite ban.
Woolworths introduce a dedicated shopping hour for the elderly and people with disability
“Woolworths Supermarkets is introducing temporary measures across its stores to help support the shopping needs of the elderly and people with disability in the community.
“From [Tuesday 17th March] until at least Friday, Woolworths Supermarkets will be opening exclusively for the elderly and those with a disability to shop from 7am to 8am, where permitted*. The move has been prompted by the unprecedented demand in supermarkets over the past week, which has seen many elderly and vulnerable people in the community missing out on vital items they may need when they shop.
“Woolworths Supermarkets will open to all customers from 8am. Access to the store prior to this time will require a relevant Government issued concession card*.”
Read: the full release
Coronavirus Health Information Line
Call this line if you are seeking information on novel coronavirus. The line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
1800 020 080
Article supplied with thanks to Hope Media
- About the Author: Clare is a digital journalist for the Broadcast Industry.