Listen: Let's take the stress out of gift-giving. Afterall, the goal is to tell someone how much they mean to you, not to spend the most money!
Giving gifts can be a fantastic way to show someone how much we care about them. If we’re not careful though, the wrong gift can have the opposite effect.
“Love languages are often discussed in the counselling room,” explains relationship expert and neuropsychotherapist Joanne Wilson.
“Gifts are a very common love language!”
Let’s dive into Joanne’s top 5 dos and don’ts for giving great gifts this Christmas.
Gift Giving Dos
- Do personalise it, don’t just grab something mindlessly from the store.
- Do choose something that truly speaks to them, so they know you’ve thought it through.
- Do consider their interests, ensure you give them something they’re interested in (not what you’re interested in).
- Do wrap it creatively, by going to the effort, you’ll make unwrapping a fun experience.
- Do be mindful of dietary restrictions, don’t give a vegan a ham subscription!
Gift Giving Don’ts
- Don’t give generic gift cards, or at least write something meaningful on it.
- Don’t regift without disguise. Is the original wrapping still on? Can you tell it’s been regifted? Alternately, just be honest about it!
- Don’t overspend to impress. Your bank balance won’t appreciate it and it’s the thought that counts anyway.
- Don’t give fitness equipment or cleaning equipment, unless they specifically ask for it.
- Don’t assume that one size fits all. Be careful if you’re gifting clothing. Do your research about sizing!
Most of all, try to enjoy gift giving! Afterall, the goal is to tell someone how much they mean to you, not to have a reputation for being the best gift buyer – or the biggest spender.
Listen to the full conversation in the player above.
For more from Joanne Wilson tune in each Saturday from 12pm or find more from The Relationship Rejuvenator online.
Feature image: Photo by Canva Pro